One Click Upgrade Failure Can Lead To Your Blog Being Down For Hours
WordPress are getting better all the time at upgrading their software and their One Click Upgrade does work almost all of the time. However, when it fails you have a big problem. The recovery of the site can take between 30 minutes and a few hours depending on how rigorous you have been in taking and verifying backups.
WordPress do have a fail-safe upgrade progress but this involves 14 steps and will take around an hour. We wanted to offer our clients a reliable upgrade process but without any investment of their time.
Zero Clicks Are Better Than One Click (And More Reliable Too)
Therefore we created a robust, automated solution for upgrading WordPress, Thesis and wordpress plugins which means our clients never need to do a one click installation. We call this the ‘zero click’ WordPress Upgrade.
On completion of the upgrade our clients get an email letting them know the upgrade has taken place.
Restrictions On the Zero Click WordPress Upgrade
- the site has to be hosted on our blog servers at LiquidWeb in Lansing, Michigan, USA
- we lock down all WordPress files so our clients cannot make customizations to WordPress which would get overwritten during an upgrade
- we only use the Thesis Theme as this has high code quality and high flexibility
- we approve the list of WordPress plugins to ensure adequate code quality and security
- we host all images on Amazon S3 storage to aid scalability
The trade-off we are making is a small loss in flexibility for a larger gain in reliability, security, performance and ease of support and maintenance.
Zero Click WordPress Upgrades are included in all the Power Blog Service Packages