Image File Extension Renaming Problem with Windows Explorer and Firefox S3 Organizer
On renaming a file myphoto.jpg in Windows Explorer it appears in the Firefox organiser as myphoto.jpg.JPG – the JPG is added on automatically! Help!
Problems with filename extensions are usually due to the way you are viewing the files using Windows Explorer
– Use Windows Explorer
– Navigate to the folder on your PC that has your images
– Go to the Tools/ Folder Options/ View /
– Uncheck/clear the box ‘Hide extensions for known file type’
This should expose the full file name as photo.jpg.JPG
– Rename the file to photo.jpg
– Then go to Firefox S3 and refresh the folder of the left hand side using the little icon with two arrows
– You should then be able to upload the photo with the correct name which is all lower case
This approach will fail if you already have a file called PHOTO.jpg.
In this scenario you would need to delete PHOTO.jpg first, before renaming photo.jpg.JPG to photo.jpg
We always advise you use all lower case for filenames as this avoids confusion between the Windows operating system on your PC which is case insensitive and the Unix and Linux operating system which are our web servers. For example photo.jpg, Photo.JPG and PHOTO.JPG are the same physical file on Windows but are different files on the web server. Therefore it is best to stick to photo.jpg to avoid any confusion.