Best Use Of WordPress NextGEN Plugin
The NextGEN plugin is probably the most versatile Image Gallery WordPress Plugin.
It you want to display a large number of photos or images on your site that this may the plugin for you.
NextGEN Terminology – albums, galleries and pictures
- A gallery is a collection of pictures.
- An album can contain one of more galleries.
For most users a single album will suffice however if you have a lot of pictures you might want to use the albums. For example, for one of our clients who is an artist we have separate albums for sculptures and drawings. The other reason you might want to us separate albums is if you have different contributors to the site and you want each to control their own album.
Essential NextGEN Features
- Full integrated flash slideshow
- Thumbnail generator
- Image or Text Watermarks
- Images Effects such as Shutter, Thickbox, Lightbox or Highslide
- Sortable Albums and Galleries
- Copy or move images between galleries
Other Useful NextGEN Features
- Custom templates
- Cooliris Effect
- Control access to each gallery
- Upload or pictures via a zip-file
- Use your own CSS file
- TinyMCE Button integration for easy adding the gallery tags
- Show a slideshow, random or recent picture at your sidebar
- Translated in more than 30 languages
- Access all pictures via the upload tab
- Append related images to your post, create a image tag-cloud
- Import EXIF, IPTC or XMP meta data
- Cool flash addons using nextgen-flashviewer
When Not To Use The NextGEN Plugin
- When you only want to create a single slideshow on your home with clickthroughs to featured posts
- When all your pictures are hosted on Amazon S3 and not in wp-content